The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 30 October 2020 – Flattering, …Lying
Topic: Flattering, …Lying
Read: Psalm 12 (NKJV)
- Help, LORD, for the godly man ceases! For the faithful disappear from among the sons of men.
- They speak idly everyone with his neighbor; [With] flattering lips [and] a double heart they speak.
- May the LORD cut off all flattering lips, [And] the tongue that speaks proud things,
- Who have said, “With our tongue we will prevail; Our lips [are] our own; Who [is] lord over us?”
- “For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, Now I will arise,” says the LORD; “I will set [him] in the safety for which he yearns.”
- The words of the LORD [are] pure words, [Like] silver tried in a furnace of earth, Purified seven times.
- You shall keep them, O LORD, You shall preserve them from this generation forever.
- The wicked prowl on every side, When vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
Lies sent Ananias and Sapphira to an untimely death. Lying is as deadly as any other sin; it is a spiritual poison that contaminates one’s spirituality. The tongue is a fire, an unrighteous world among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the cycle of nature and set on fire by hell (James 3:6).
This calls for caution on how to use the tongue: Life and death are in the power of tongue and when it is misused, there are terrible consequences! God hates flattering lips and lying tongue of a false witness who breathes out lies and a man who sows discord among brethren. People engage in several lies today – business lies, handset lies, witness lies in law courts, academic lies, certificate forgery, family lies among family members, production of fake products in our markets, lies in the Church by false brethren and hypocrites, etc.
Buy the truth, do not sell it; it is a divine mandate. Let your yes be yes, likewise your no be no. Satan is a liar and father of all liars; their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur. Truth liberates; lies keep in bondage.
PRAYER: Oh God, help me to control my tongue so as to bring forth Your praise and glory in Jesus’ name. Amen.