The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 28 May 2021 – Fear God And Keep His Commandments
TOPIC: Fear God And Keep His Commandments
READ: Deuteronomy 5:28-33 (NKJV)
- “Then the LORD heard the voice of your words when you spoke to me, and the LORD said to me: ‘I have heard the voice of the words of this people which they have spoken to you. They are right [in] all that they have spoken.
- ‘Oh, that they had such a heart in them that they would fear Me and always keep all My commandments, that it might be well with them and with their children forever!
- ‘Go and say to them, “Return to your tents.”
- ‘But as for you, stand here by Me, and I will speak to you all the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments which you shall teach them, that they may observe [them] in the land which I am giving them to possess.’
- “Therefore you shall be careful to do as the LORD your God has commanded you; you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.
- “You shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God has commanded you, that you may live and [that it may be] well with you, and [that] you may prolong [your] days in the land which you shall possess.
In Deuteronomy 5:22 27, the Israelites requested to hear God through Moses rather than hearing directly from God. They feared the voice of God that spoke through the fire. God however granted their request even though that was not His original plan for them. Let us understand that God may allow us His permissive will, but that cannot be compared to His perfect will for our lives. God also commanded that they should fear Him always and keep all His commandments. This injunction was for their welfare and that of their children in the land they were entering to take possession. Secondly, their long life was guaranteed if they obeyed.
Beloved, the same thing applies to us who are of the new covenant order today. To fear God implies to obey the whole counsel of God, not only the ones we like. Ecclesiastes 12:13 says: “Fear God and keep His commandment for this is the whole duty of man.” Let us note that to love God means to keep His commands and these commands are not burdensome (1 John 5:3). His work is easy and His burden light (Matthew 11:28). We only need to obey for our own good.
PRAYER: Grant me, dear Lord, the desire to obey You always.