The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 11 June 2021 – Love And Care In The Early Church
TOPIC: Love And Care In The Early Church
READ: Acts 4:32-37 (NKJV)
- Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common.
- And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all.
- Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold,
- and laid [them] at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.
- And Joses, who was also named Barnabas by the apostles (which is translated Son of Encouragement), a Levite of the country of Cyprus,
- having land, sold [it,] and brought the money and laid [it] at the apostles’ feet.
The early Church was a community Church. It is interesting how the first believers lived their lives. Their life gives a sense of a communal life or a family unit. They cared about each other and demonstrated their love by their willingness to sacrifice their personal possessions. Remarkably, Barnabas which means ‘son of consolation’ or ‘son of encouragement’, sold his land and brought all the proceeds to the apostles for distribution. None of these Christians felt what they had was theirs and so were able to give and share, thereby eliminating poverty among them. They would not let a brother or sister suffer while others had plenty. As a result of the unity among them, the Apostles took care of both the physical and spiritual needs of the believers. As a result, they had great power and great grace manifesting amongst them.
The early Church was able to share possession and property as a result of the unity brought by the Holy Spirit working in and through the believers’ lives. Their desire was to please Christ and their mission was to preach the Gospel to every creature. The reason we do not seem to share a powerful witness is simply because we have not lived out our Christian message of love. God expects us to love and share everything with our brothers and sisters as a living testimony to those outside the faith.
PRAYER: Father, build Your church and make us one in Your power in Jesus’ Name. Amen.