The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 19 August 2021 – Be A Witness For Christ
TOPIC: Be A Witness For Christ
Read: John 5:31-47 (NKJV)
- ” If I bear witness of Myself, My witness is not true.
- “There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses of Me is true.
- “You have sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth.
- “Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved.
- “He was the burning and shining lamp, and you were willing for a time to rejoice in his light.
- “But I have a greater witness than John’s; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish — the very works that I do — bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me.
- “And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form.
- “But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.
- “You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
- “But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
- “I do not receive honor from men.
- “But I know you, that you do not have the love of God in you.
- “I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.
- “How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that [comes] from the only God?
- “Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is [one] who accuses you — Moses, in whom you trust.
- “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.
- “But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”
As a noun, the word ‘witness’ refers to somebody who directly observes or has a personal knowledge of an event. It can also mean something which serves as evidence. In today’s passage, Jesus Christ mentioned four witnesses to His mission and ministry on earth. They are: Moses, John the Baptist, His works (miracles), and God the Father. It is written: “At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established” (Deuteronomy 19:15) All the witnesses mentioned confirmed His purpose and mission. They are sure evidences, which could not be questioned. Jesus Christ did not propagate himself, the witnesses did. The significance of the witnesses is that men may believe and be saved.
Today, witnesses of the grace and power of God through Christ Jesus are needed. Men and women need to go out into the world and share what they have heard, seen and handled (1 John 1:1). The world is waiting for a witness who would not seek the approval of men but the approval which comes from God only. Witnesses who would not care for earthly reward but heavenly reward are urgently needed. Such Witness must point the attention of the world around them to the completed work of Christ on and show them the way of salvation. The clock is ticking and the time is running out. Souls can be saved and life can be redeemed. Let us rise and be a witness today.
PRAYER: O Lord, grant me undying passion to witness Your power and grace to this present world. Amen!