The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 18 August 2021 – Choose Life
TOPIC: Choose Life
Read: John 5:24-30 (NKJV)
- ” Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
- “Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.
- “For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,
- “and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.
- “Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
- “and come forth — those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.
- “I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.
Jesus Christ made it clear in our text today the fate of those who believe Him and His father. He gave the assurance that such people will inherit everlasting life and escape judgment. He also spoke with utmost certainty about the coming judgment and His power to judge, as granted Him by the Father. He emphasized that those who have done good will have resurrection of life and those who have done evil, will have resurrection of condemnation. He tasked them, by implication, to make their choice between: life and death (verse 24); everlasting life and judgment (verse 24): resurrection of life and resurrection of condemnation (verse 29).
All of us will be held accountable for our actions and inactions one day. The consciousness of this truth is enough to make us decide to follow the path of righteousness rather than choosing the unrighteous path. It pays to be committed to doing good at all times and shunning every act of evil. Temptation to compromise our faith and follow the world abounds. Faithful believers must choose to hold on to the whole truth of the word of God so that the righteous Judge can reward us adequately. Sinners must repent and choose life so that they can be translated from death to life.
PRAYER: O Lord, grant me grace to abide in You and walk in Your will so I may escape the condemnation awaiting the evil ones. Amen!