Here are the latest headlines from around the Championship.
Sheffield Wednesday boss slams EFL
Garry Monk believes the league’s restart date of June 20 leaves clubs with “inadequate” time to fully prepare for a return.
The EFL revealed earlier this week that the 2019/20 season will resume later this month, with each of the 24 sides having nine matches left to play.
Clubs resumed training on May 25, although they have only started contact training this week.
And former Swansea City, Leeds United, Middlesbrough and Birmingham City boss Monk says the announcement from the EFL was “a huge surprise”.
“I think everyone was taken aback,” Monk said.
“We all thought in the back of our minds that going through the communication we had a couple of weeks ago in the managers’ meeting that we had that we would need a minimum of three weeks contact training.
“That is what we asked for and we all knew that we were working at least a week behind the Premier League, and we all thought we would be starting a week behind the Premier League.
“Of course, the announcement was a huge surprise, but it is what it is and I’m not complaining about it.
“We want to get back and play games. It has been good to be back in. The players have come back in good condition and clearly followed their home programmes very well. The majority of them are in really good condition and we are looking forward to it.
“But in terms of preparation, it is inadequate for sure. If you follow the guidelines that you start on the (June) 25th like we have, it is inadequate and no manager can tell you any different but we will have to deal with it in the best way possible.”
Monk’s Sheffield Wednesday side are currently 15th in the table, eight points adrift of the play-off places.
EFL consider club proposals ahead of key vote
The EFL have received proposals from clubs over how to potentially curtail the 2019/20 campaign.
League bosses invited its clubs to submit their own suggestions on the matter, although the deadline to do so passed earlier this week.
And the EFL have now revealed their key meeting – which will determine what will happen in each of its three leagues – will take place on Tuesday.
Their statement read: “The EFL board met today and considered a number of proposals submitted by EFL clubs in respect of proposed amendments to EFL regulations in order to determine what will happen in the event the 2019/20 season is curtailed in any EFL division.
“This now brings an end to a comprehensive consultation phase and clubs have today received formal notice of the meeting which will now take place on Tuesday 9 June 2020.
“At that meeting clubs will consider a number of different proposals from both clubs and the board of the EFL.”
Latest coronavirus testing
Nine individuals from six clubs have tested positive in the latest batch of coronavirus testing in the Championship.
The EFL confirmed a total of 1,094 players and club staff were tested between May 30 and June 2.
An EFL statement read: “Following the latest round of Covid-19 testing, the EFL can confirm that 1094 players and club staff from the 24 Championship clubs were tested over the course of Saturday 30 May, Sunday 31 May, Monday 1 June and Tuesday 2 June with nine individuals testing positive from six clubs.
“Those players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate in line with the guidelines provided by the EFL and only those who have tested negative will be permitted to enter training ground facilities.”