Scripture Union Daily Guide 29 June 2020
Topic: Assurance of eternal life
Opening Prayer: Sanctify my life dear Lord as I study your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: 1 John 5: 13–21
• Is there any promise for me to believe or hope for?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 29 June 2020 Message
Some people think that we can never be sure of our salvation while on this earth. How does this compare with v.13? This gives us the confidence we need to pray “according to his will” (vv.14,15). Do you personally have this assurance and confidence? What is the one condition that needs to be fulfilled? What responsibility do we have towards a brother or sister who falls into sin?
Unfortunately, instead of praying and loving, many of us gossip and ridicule such fellow Christian. There is a great revelation here: God can use our earnest prayer to restore such a believer fully. The phrase “sin that leads to death”: can be seen from two angles. If spiritual death, it may refer to those who follow the doctrines of the devil and so persistently deny Jesus’ full deity and full incarnation (vv.19,20).
If physical death, it may refer to God’s judgment on believers who continue to persist in sin. See 1 Corinthians 5:1–5, 11–13. John concludes his letter with three basic Christian truths, stating them as matters of fact.
• So: “Keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts” (v.21; NLT). Turn this into your prayer today.
• O Lord help me to gain eternal life at last.
• Pray for revival of Christians to personal witnessing and that the witness of the Church worldwide will never be muffled; pray for Church budgets to reflect Kingdom priorities.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Jeremiah 29:14
Read the Bible in one Year
Deut. 10–12; Acts 3
Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.