Scripture Union Daily Guide 1 August 2020
Topic: “You Have Tried My Heart?”
Opening Prayer: Oh Lord, grant me spiritual insight into the truth of your word as I study it.
Scripture: 1 Kings 3:1 ─ 15
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Scripture Union Daily Guide 1 August 2020 Message
Notice three good things about Solomon. First, he loved the Lord (v.3). How did he show his love for the Lord? Our love for the Lord will lead into obeying his Word and living a righteous life. Secondly, Solomon walked in the statutes of the Lord. Walking in the light of the Word will keep us from sin. We must determine to daily live in the light of God’s Word. This is the essence of daily Bible reading. It is to expose us to the will of the Lord for our lives.
Finally, he had a generous heart. To offer a thousand burnt offerings on the altar was a huge sacrifice. How much of our substance are we willing to give out for the cause of Christ and his kingdom? However, there was one thing Solomon did not get right! Read about it in v.1. This singular act will turn out to be the bane of his reign on the throne of his father David.
When God warns against anything, we better take that seriously. Unequal friendship of the children of God with unbelievers have often had disastrous consequence (see 1 Corinthians 6:15–17)
• And so? What will you ask the Lord to do for you if given the opportunity to make a request?
• Lord, grant me grace to stay away from anything that dishonours your name.
• Thank God for His provisions through your work place or business and ask for a more productive new week.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Psalm 46:1
Read the Bible in one Year
Psalms 60–62; Acts 22
Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.