Here are your rugby evening headlines for Tuesday, 10 May.
Former Wales prop dies, aged 71
Former Neath and Wales prop Glyn Shaw has passed away after a long illness aged 71.
Shaw won 12 caps for his country in the 1970s, displacing Charlie Faulkner to break up the Pontypool front-row. He also captained Neath in 1977/78, before heading north to switch codes and join Widnes.
In rugby league, he became an international, representing Wales and Great Britain. His efforts as a player saw him accepted into the distinguished ranks of the Neath Rugby Supporters’ Club “Hall of Fame”.
Wales Rugby League chairman Brian Juliff, who played alongside Glyn for four of his Wales appearances, said: “Glyn was a good friend and teammate to me at both Wales and Wigan. He was a great character, an outstanding athlete and fearless competitor who was respected and admired throughout rugby league and rugby union. We will all miss Glyn’s presence, sense of humour and infectious personality. Condolences to all of Glyn’s family and RIP to a top man.”
Read next:Wales face potential raft of pull-outs for South Africa tour as squad to be announced
Scarlets boss reassures fans
Scarlets chairman Simon Muderack has told supporters that the west Walians are not discussing any mergers or restructuring of the club.
Welsh rugby has been hit by another bombshell when it emerged last week that a proposal had suggested cutting one of the four professional Welsh sides. However, Muderack has now moved to ease fans’ fears.
“Crys 16 met with Simon Muderack (Scarlets Executive Chair) on Monday 9th May regarding the press articles that have emerged over the last week concerning the future of Welsh Regional Rugby,” read a letter sent to members of the Scarlets’ supporters trust.
“We specifically discussed speculation regarding a potential reduction in the number of professional clubs in Wales and the wider content of the Oakwell Report. The Scarlets are currently not discussing any merger, relocation or any other form of restructure of the club.”
Champions Cup decided against retaining two-leg format
Tournament organisers have decided against repeating the round of 16 two-leg format in next season’s Heineken Champions Cup.
The first knockout phase will feature eight games on one weekend, before quarter-finals take place a week later. Next season’s tournament will be played over eight weekends, rather than nine this term, starting on December 9.
Four rounds of pool stage action will be followed by the last 16 from March 31-April 2, with the semi-finals later that month. The 2023 European finals – Champions Cup and Challenge Cup – are due to take place at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on May 19 and 20.
Anthony Lepage, chief executive of European Professional Club Rugby, said: “We are coming to the climax of what has been a challenging season for European club rugby, and have been able to welcome fans back to stadia from the recommencement of our competitions at the beginning of April.
“We have seen the very best EPCR competitions have to offer, and are building towards what will no doubt be a sensational weekend of rugby for our finals later this month.
“As we look ahead to next season, we are pleased to announce the dates of our competitions, and we will be announcing the formats in the coming weeks.”
Tomas Lezana signs new Scarlets contract
Argentina international Tomas Lezana has extended his stay in West Wales by signing a new Scarlets contract.
The 28-year-old flanker, capped 40 times for his country, arrived in Llanelli after featuring for the Pumas in The Rugby Championship and has made nine appearances, scoring two tries. Lezana said: “I am enjoying it here, I am enjoying a lot; the new experience, a different culture and I am grateful to the club for how they have welcomed me and my partner here.
“The fans here are really passionate, similar to Argentina people, that pushes you to give more.
“I also like the style of rugby we are playing, we like to move the ball around the pitch, it is like Super Rugby and I love that.
“I am looking forward to next season, as a team we have a lot of potential, a lot of good players. I think we can get better and be fighting for the play-offs and I am looking forward to being part of that.”
Women’s Six Nations Player of the Tournament announced
Laure Sansus has been crowned the 2022 TikTok Women’s Six Nations Player of the Championship.
French scrum-half Sansus claiming 37% of the votes by fan. She finished the 2022 TikTok Women’s Six Nations as its top try-scorer – also providing the most try assists.
Commenting on the award Ben Morel, CEO of Six Nations Rugby Said: “I would like to congratulate Laure on a fantastic performance throughout the TikTok Women’s Six Nations Championship and on a well-deserved Player of the Championship award. This is testament to the brilliance she has shown in the Championship.
“I also extend my congratulations to the Red Roses, who clinched the Grand Slam. Huge credit also has to go to all of the other nominees, who all delivered incredible performances and showcased the huge talent on show in this year’s TikTok Women’s Six Nations.”
Rich Waterworth, General Manager, Europe, TikTok, added: “Congratulations to Laure on this wonderful achievement, to her fellow nominees and to all the players, coaches and fans who made the TikTok Women’s Six Nations such a memorable event.
“Being the tournament’s first Title Sponsor is really special for us. As a platform that’s built around inclusion, we want to shine a light on women’s rugby and bring it to new audiences through our TikTok community, while supporting the overall growth of the game.”