Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) is an initiative of Poets in Nigeria (PIN) aimed at stimulating literary creativity and encouraging critical thinking among Nigerian undergraduates. Since its inception in 2016 at the University of Ibadan, the prize has received about 3000 entries from students representing over 100 tertiary institutions (including universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, schools of nursing and seminary schools).
Reputed as the foremost poetry prize for Nigerian students, the NSPP has awarded over 1.5 million Naira to winning entrants and published 460 poems authored by selected entrants in five anthologies: The Sun Will Rise Again (2016), Mixed History (2017), Deep Dreams (2018, Micah (2019) and The House That Built Me (2020).
Notably, tertiary institutions such as University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu and Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Yenagoa hosted the NSPP Awards in 2017, 2018 and 2019 respectively. In 2020, the awards ceremony was hosted solely by PIN at Virginrose Resorts, Victoria Island, Lagos.
Aside rewarding the prize winners with a total cash prize of ₦400,000, exceptional entrants will each receive a certificate of excellence and complimentary copy of the NSPP anthology which features their works.
1st Prize – ₦200,000
2nd Prize – ₦100,000
3rd Prize – ₦50,000
Consolation Prize – ₦25,000 each for 4th and 5th best entrants
The sixth edition of the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) opens for submission between 15th January and 15th March, 2021. Taking note of the deadline, interested Nigerian undergraduates are expected to submit a 30-line poem on any of these themes: (1) Individual and Collective Humanity in a Corona-Ravaged World (2) Identity: Faces and Phases (3) Politics of Retrogression
- Open to all Nigerian undergraduates studying in Nigeria and the diaspora.
- Entrants must be from a recognized tertiary institution.
- Submissions are to be made at nspp.poetsinnigeria.org.ng , with strict adherence to the instructions thereon.
- Poems must focus on any of these themes:
- Individual and Collective Humanity in a Corona-Ravaged World
- Identity: Faces and Phases
- Politics of Retrogression
- Entrants must give unique titles to their works (Avoid using the wording of the themes as title of your entry)
- Indicate the theme selected beneath your work
- Poems must be original intellectual property of the entrants.
- An entrant is entitled to a single entry of 30 lines maximum.
- Entries submitted must be previously unpublished. A submission discovered to have defaulted on this rule will be automatically voided.
- All entrants are expected to purchase a minimum of one of the five NSPP anthologies uploaded on the submission portal.
- Under no condition will the judges’ decision be challenged.
- Entering for the contest gives PIN automatic right to make use of entries as deemed appropriate.
- Entries must be written in English. Native terminologies must be translated in English as footnotes.
- Entrants should subscribe to www.poetsinnigeria.org.ng for regular updates
Submission Deadline: 15th March, 2021