Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak blasted President Trump’s “reckless and selfish” decision to host an indoor campaign rally in the state on Sunday night amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Sisolak released a statement bashing Trump just ahead of the president’s 7 p.m. PST event in Henderson, which was expected to draw thousands of supporters — and to violate Nevada’s restrictions on gatherings of 50 people or more.
“President Donald Trump is taking reckless and selfish actions that are putting countless lives in danger here in Nevada,” Sisolak said in the statement.
“The President appears to have forgotten that this country is still in the middle of a global pandemic.”
The searing statement came after the president hosted a rally in Reno on Saturday night, and a “Latinos for Trump” roundtable in Las Vegas earlier on Sunday.
The Democratic governor said Trump was blatantly disregarding Nevada’s public health directives by holding the large indoor gathering, classified as “high-risk,” by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“He’s decided he doesn’t have to respect our State’s laws. As usual, he doesn’t believe the rules apply to him,” Sisolak said.
He called Trump’s actions “an insult to every Nevadan who has followed the directives, made sacrifices, and put their neighbors before themselves.”
“It’s also a direct threat to all of the recent progress we’ve made, and could potentially set us back,” Sisolak said.
He added: “At a time when Nevada is focused on getting our economy back on track and protecting public health, the President’s actions this weekend are shameful, dangerous and irresponsible.”