A final decision on whether Easter holidays can go ahead in Wales will be taken next week, First Minister Mark Drakeford has confirmed.
Last week during the latest review of restrictions he said he hoped to be able to lift the stay local rule from Saturday, March 27, and that self-contained holiday accommodation would be allowed to open in time for the Easter holidays.
At the coronavirus briefing on Friday, March 19, Mr Drakeford said he hoped to be able to make a final decision on whether this can go ahead “by the end of next week”. Read more on what he had to say here.
The overall public health situation in Wales remains stable at around 44 cases per 100,000 people and with a test positivity rate of 3.9%.
But the Welsh Government are closely monitoring the situation in Anglesey and Merthyr Tydfil where clusters of cases, linked to household and social mixing, have driven up the rates.
Speaking about the hopeful re-opening of holiday accommodation in time for Easter in Wales, Mr Drakeford said: “Provided things continue as they are – stable and improving – then I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to confirm that by the end of next week.”
The First Minister warned that “there are some parts of Wales where the position is not as good as we would like it to be”.
He added: “Paris has gone back into a lockdown again so we’ve known all along how fast circumstances can change in coronavirus.
“That’s why it’s important to wait until the last moment you can in order to make these decisions because that way you have the best and latest data.”
He was referring to the news that Paris is set to go into a month-long Covid lockdown as the country fears a third wave.
Some 21m people in 16 areas of France will be placed under the measures from midnight on Friday.
Mr Drakeford said: “Things are improving but coronavirus has been full of unpleasant surprises. France had been doing incredibly well and they are now experiencing a sudden and considerable flare-up.
“Nobody should think that we are immune. Nobody should think that we should drop our guard. That will not be the approach taken by the Welsh Government.”