World News

Just 17 places in England now seeing coronavirus cases fall

Just 17 of the 149 areas of England have seen a week on week drop in coronavirus cases in the latest official figures.

Cases are now climbing or showing no change in all other areas according to Public Health England.

Sunderland and Bolton are among the worst areas, while PHE now has 49 areas on its watchlist of places officials are concerned about outbreaks – significantly more than in previous weeks.

Areas where the infection rate has fallen since the start of last month were:

  • Bedford
  • Bexley
  • Buckinghamshire
  • Cambridgeshire
  • Camden
  • Gloucestershire
  • Greenwich
  • Norfolk
  • Oldham
  • Plymouth
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • Rutland
  • Southampton
  • Southend-on-Sea
  • Swindon
  • Trafford
  • Wandsworth

It comes as the average number of people testing positive each day has doubled to 3,000 in 10 days, with young people warned the virus is surging among their age group.

A second coronavirus lockdown could be enforced in Wales within weeks if people do not change their behaviour, the country’s health minister has said.

Vaughan Gething warned the pattern of increasing cases was “similar to the situation we faced in early February” and said action had to be taken to prevent significant harm or another full lockdown.

The number of new coronavirus cases in Wales increased by 183 on Monday – the largest rise in daily cases since May 19 – bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 19,573.

And the UK needs to act fast to stop coronavirus cases growing out of control, with a delay of even a few days potentially “dangerous”, according to an academic who advises the Government.

ALSO READ  Eleven-year-old boy jumped into river to save friend's life before both were swept away by the current

Peter Openshaw, professor of experimental medicine, Imperial College London, said a “trickle” of cases can turn into a “cascade”, adding that if people do not abide by the “rule of six” now then the country faces going back into “hard lockdown”.

Prof Openshaw, who is a member of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag) which advises the Government on the threat posed by new and emerging respiratory viruses, said if the virus is in care homes it will inevitably lead to hospital admissions and deaths.

Speaking on Sky’s Ridge On Sunday, he said: “We know that these are very vulnerable pockets. It’s not just in the younger people, it’s starting to appear in people more vulnerable and that inevitably is going to be followed by hospital admissions and deaths so we need to act quickly.”

Speaking about the rise in cases, Prof Openshaw said: “I think everyone is in agreement that we really need to act very quickly now in order to prevent this from growing exponentially.

“I think that’s the main point is that we must act fast because it’s so much harder to get this sort of thing under control if you delay.

“Even a few days is potentially going to be quite dangerous now at this particular moment.”

Former chief scientific adviser and member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) Sir Mark Walport has warned that the country is “on the edge of losing control” of Covid-19.

ALSO READ  Ghislaine Maxwell stalling case with new claim: Virginia Giuffre

Asked if he thinks Sir Mark is right, Prof Openshaw told Ridge: “Well yes I think that is right.”

The Sunday Times reported a Department of Health report marked “official sensitive” and circulated on Friday said that the rate of coronavirus recorded through satellite tests – which are used in care homes – had quadrupled since the start of the month.

The newspaper also said that Health Secretary Matt Hancock was given an emergency update on Wednesday saying that outbreaks had been detected in 43 care homes.

A Department of Health and Social Care spokeswoman said: “Throughout our coronavirus response we have been doing everything we can to ensure all staff and residents in care homes are protected.”

Tough new Covid-19 lockdown measures were announced for parts of the UK on Friday as cases continued to rise and as the R number – the reproduction number of coronavirus transmission – climbed above one.

According to Government advisers, the last time R was above one was in early March.

Meanwhile, the Sunday Telegraph reported that up to 4.5 million people deemed to be at risk of serious illness from Covid-19 will be asked to stay at home again or given tailored advice on protecting themselves if cases rise to dangerous levels.

The newspaper said people identified using a new “risk model” based on factors such as underlying health conditions, age, sex and weight will receive letters containing specific advice.

The plan is initially due to operate in areas with severe levels of infection, but officials are prepared to roll it out nationwide if required, a source told the newspaper.

ALSO READ  'World's loneliest elephant' loved listening to Sinatra's 'My Way'

And according to the paper, Prime Minister Boris Johnson is believed to be considering introducing a 10pm or 11pm curfew on restaurants, bars and pubs if local measures are unable to bring the spread of the virus under control.

The move stems from a concern that adherence to social distancing measures diminishes the more people consume alcohol.

...

Tags

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
Close