As we head into the scheduled final round of the 2021 Six Nations, the picture has become a little clearer.
Ireland’s narrow victory over Scotland on Sunday ruled Gregor Townsend’s side out of the title race and there are now just two teams that can win the whole thing.
They are, of course, Wales and France, who meet on Saturday night in Paris with everything on the line.
Wales are the only team on course for a Grand Slam and they can make things simple by winning at the Stade de France.
Les Bleus still have two games to go, with their postponed match against Scotland widely expected to be rescheduled for March 26.
If Wales lose on Saturday night, they could face a nervous wait to see if they will be crowned Six Nations champions as it will be out of their hands.
Below you’ll find the Six Nations table as it stands and the different permutations for Wales on Saturday…
Six Nations table as it stands
Position, Team, Games played, Points, Points difference
1, Wales, 4, 19, +63
2, Ireland, 4, 11, +34
3, France, 3, 10, +39
4, England, 4, 10, +5
5, Scotland, 3, 6, +1
6, Italy, 4, 0, -142
Saturday, March 20
Scotland v Italy – 2:15pm
Ireland v England – 4:45pm
France v Wales – 8:00pm
France v Scotland – TBC
France v Wales scenarios
- If Wales win: Grand Slam champions.
- If it’s a draw: Wales are Six Nations champions.
- If France only get three more Championship points than Wales: Wales are Six Nations champions. So, if France win without a bonus point and Wales get a bonus point in defeat, that’s enough for Wales. Even if France get a bonus point win, Wales will still win the title if they score four tries and lose by seven points or less as they will get two bonus points.
- If France win without a bonus point and Wales get nothing: Title will be decided on points difference if France beat Scotland with a bonus point. Anything less and Wales will be Six Nations Champions.
- If France win with a bonus point and Wales get nothing: France would win the title with a bonus point win over Scotland. A standard win over Scotland and the tournament will be decided on points difference. Anything less and Wales will be Six Nations Champions.
- If France win with a bonus point and Wales get one bonus point: Title will be decided on points difference if France beat Scotland with a bonus point. Anything less and Wales will be Six Nations Champions.